Thursday 2 August 2012

8051 SIMULATORS

Everyone wants to see some practical results after working hard on a project. Same is the case with 8051 microcontroller. You have probably designed something involving the 8051 and written / compiled a program code for it and you are almost ready to put it to test. I know you can't wait but there is still one essential step before jumping on to the implementation phase and it is called simulation.

UPDATE: You can also click this link for an updated version of this post.


SIMULATION AND ITS IMPORTANCE

Simulation is a virtual imitation of the actual process or system which means that you can test and verify your work before even touching the hardware. Simulation is normally performed on a computer through specially designed soft-wares called simulators. A simulator is designed for a specific purpose. This means that you will find many simulators out there for various devices. 

After completing your project, you can test-drive it using a simulator and you will be able to examine the exact output. You can then remove the errors or make your project efficient. This step is important because a project cannot be perfect on the very first shot. In fact, you will face many errors and mistakes of your own that you never thought would exist. If you are able to obtain some proper output in the simulation then be assured that your project will practically work provided that the hardware part is properly designed.


SIMULATORS FOR 8051

If you agree that simulation phase is advantageous for any project then you definitely need a simulator for the 8051 and fortunately you will find a variety of them. Let's talk about the ones that I have used for myself.

As a beginner, I came across the PINNACLE52. It proved useful in many ways and I was able to examine the output of the codes I had written in every detail that I needed. It shows you the value of each port, register, memory etc. as the program is being simulated. You could run the program as a whole or in single steps.  All in all, I liked the way it worked and it never disappointed me.

PINNACLE52 Environment


Next I came across a more graphical simulator called the EDSIM51. It is simple and fun to use so I decided to continue my simulation work on this. The concept is the same i-e you will observe the output of the 8051 such as its port values, register values etc but it offers additional functions as compared to Pinnacle52. 

EDSIM51 Environment



DOWNLOAD

Unfortunately, the official website of PINNACLE52 is no more available. I wonder why? I hope you can find it elsewhere over the internet.

The EDSIM52 can be download from their official website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment